PCOS/ PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian syndrome) is one of the most common female endocrine hormonal disorders, affecting up to 20% of women in their reproductive age, which leads to primary or secondary infertility. PCOS in Ayurveda was correlated with Aarthava Kshaya.
PCOD is a condition in which the ovaries produce high amounts of androgens (male hormones), particularly testosterone resulting in high levels of luteinizing hormone (LH) and low levels of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) prevents follicles from producing a mature egg leading to anovulatory cycles and irregular menstruation.
Causes of PCOS/PCOD
The exact cause of PCOS/PCOD is unknown but it may be relating to abnormal hormone levels.
- Resistance to insulin
- Hormone imbalance
- High levels of androgens
- Increased levels of inflammation
Symptoms of PCOS/PCOD
- When menstrual cycles are irregular (Less than 9 cycles per year)
- Scanty bleeding or heavy flow
- Weight gain or difficulty to lose weight
- Excessive hair growth on face
- Acne on face and back
- Thinning of scalp Hair
- Thick or pigmentation of skin on neck
- Irritability or depression
Secondary Disorders Developing Due to PCOS
- Infertility and Miscarriage
- High blood pressure
- Dyslipidaemia (high level of blood cholesterol)
- Insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes
- Thyroid disorders
Ayurvedic Treatment in PCOS
PCOS needs early diagnosis and long term management for avoiding long term complications. Ayurvedic treatment for PCOS recommends Virechana (Detoxification), Nasya, Shirodhara and uttarbasti for PCOD along with Diet and lifestyle modification. Shathayu Ayurveda has a very systematic approach in treating the disease; we plan a customized treatment for each individual which is specific to their symptoms.
- Weight loss in PCOD – Loosing just 5-10% of the weight helps to develop regular menstrual cycles.
- Restoration of regular menstruation – by treating scanty blood loss, thin endometrium
- Restoration of fertility – focusing on regular ovulation and AMH levels
- Treatment of hirsutism, hair fall & acne – therapies to combat skin and hair issues
- Lowering of serum insulin levels – restoring normal hormonal levels
Ayurveda Medicine for PCOS is given for minimum 6 cycles to 12 menstrual cycles along with guidance on diet and exercise
Diet recommendation for PCOD
- Avoid all sugary foods and artificial sweeteners.
- Reduce salt intake during menstruation
- Increase the consumption of fruit & vegetables.
- Choose whole grains, which contain all parts of the grain.
- Non vegetarians take Protein foods such as fresh fish, organic chicken, organic eggs whole grains and legumes should be eaten to balance your blood glucose levels.
- Limit the intake of saturated fats that are found in red meat, chicken, commercially prepared snack foods and deep fried food.
Lifestyle Recommendations for PCOS
- Manage stress and anxiety. Reducing stress can help balance your hormones.
- Stay well hydrated by drinking 1.5 – 2 litres of filtered water daily.
- Perform moderate exercise of 45 min daily
- Practice alternate Nasal breathing – Pranayama
Yoga for PCOS
Yoga helps tone up the whole reproductive system. Asanas such as Dhanurasana, Uttanpadasana, Badhakonasana, Ushtrasana, vrikshasana, and Vajrasana are among those yoga asanas that are ideal for women to help them develop a regular and healthy menstrual cycle.
Practising these asanas along with Butterfly stretch & pranayama regularly will ensure that women develop muscular strength, avoid obesity and develop healthy reproductive organs by keeping their hormones in balance.